Sunday, May 31, 2015

Sunday's Surprise


Copyright AJ Horton

So, I'm riding around North Carolina today.  It wasn't random rambling, I had some place to be, although no particular time to be there.  While driving I was thinking about what picture to put on today's blog.  Once again, I thought I knew what I would put up and was going over in my head what I was going to say.  And then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw it - this.  Oh, I kept driving.  I thought it over.  I tried to talk myself out of turning around.  All I kept hearing in my head was "Amber waves of grain", and "I think I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree".  "Amber waves of grain" is a line in "America the Beautiful" lyrics written by Katherine Lee Bates and "I think I'll shall never see..." is part of a poem written by Joyce Kilmer.  The last sentence of that poem is "Poems are written by fools like me, but only God can make a tree."  
I know I have a lot of favorite things - I like to think of myself as eclectic - smile.  But today, once I saw this, there didn't seem to be anything higher on my "favorite" list than this scene.  And I am grateful to both Ms. Bates and Ms. Kilmer for planting the pictures in my head of both these treasures.  Finding them together is almost ... surreal.  That is why I had to turn  the car around, stop in the median, and cross the highway to photograph a dream.  My only disappointment is that my photograph may not convey to you my comfort and joy in viewing this scene.

I hope you had as great of a Sunday as I have had.  Thank you for looking.  Peace and blessings to you all.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment