Saturday, May 9, 2015

Peachy Saturday

Copyright AJ Horton

Traveling I-85 today, guess what I see?  It's a huge peach!  A Peachoid as they call it.  This is in Gaffney, SC.  This is actually a water tower that stands 135 feet, holds 1 million gallons of water and was built in 1981 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Company.  I used Wikipedia as my source.  I have seen this structure many, many times and photographed it from my car, but today was the first time I ever took a detour to really photograph it.  I love it!  I have always enjoyed seeing it along the interstate.   I know that it is the "butt" of some peoples' jokes, however, it does resemble a peach, and it makes me smile.   And, according to SCIWAY.net, even though Georgia has the title of "the peach state", South Carolina actually produces more peaches, and, the peach was named our state fruit in 1984.  

The peach is such a versatile fruit.  You can eat it right from the tree/bush, can it, freeze it; it's good in smoothies, cobblers, ice cream, salsa, etc.  Yummy!  I'm ready for one right now.
So the next time you enjoy a peach, no matter what state you happen to be in, why not think of this Peachoid on Interstate 85 between exits 90 and 92 in South Carolina and smile?  

I hope you had a most enjoyable Saturday.  Thanks for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment