Saturday, May 23, 2015

Saturday's Green

Copyright AJ Horton

So, it's Spring, almost summer, and everything is blooming and green - even this heron.  And so the name, the Green Heron.  I know that I have shown you the Great Blue Heron and that is a favorite of mine.  The Green Heron is also beautiful.  It has its own claim to fame.  When I looked up some information of this smaller, somewhat hunch back heron on the allaboutbirds.org website I found that the Green Heron actually creates tools to fish.  According to the website,  "It creates fishing lures with bread crusts, insects, earthworms, twigs, feathers, and other objects, dropping them on the surface of the water to entice small fish."   Then they stay very still while they wait and when the fish come by, the Green Heron snatches it with their "dagger like bill".  Pretty cool, huh?  They don't just eat fish, though;  they eat a wide variety of other things like insects, snails and even rodents!  If you want to learn more just go to the website.  It's a pretty cool bird.

I know that, in the spring, our thoughts turn to getting out of school and believing that we don't have to learn anything else for a while, giving our brain a rest.  I say "NO" to that train of thought and want to learn something new every day.  And so, in doing this blog, I get to learn something new and share it with you some of the time.  I hope you enjoy a little learning as well.

I also hope you had a great Saturday.  It was beautiful here and just the right temperature.  A wonderful day to be outside.  Thanks for looking.  Please continue to follow along.  See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment