Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesday's Fly on a Lily Pad


Copyright AJ Horton
So recently, you saw a fly on a log.  Today I have a fly on a lily pad for you.  It's a damselfly - some would say a dragonfly but I think dragonflies are bigger.  I know, on a lily pad, you would probably expect a little frog, but, not today.  Did you know that dragonflies and damselflies belong to the order Odonata?  I didn't either until tonight.  Odonata means toothed jaws.  What that means to you is that the larger dragon and damsel flies can actually bite you.  Oh, you'll hardly feel it, they're so small, but you'll feel it nonetheless.  The bite is harmless.  You can read more about them if you like on insects.about.com.  I hope you do look.  We all need to learn something new everyday.

I hope you had a wonderful Tuesday.  Thanks for looking.  I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment