Sunday, June 7, 2015

Sunday's Visit


Copyright AJ Horton


Sunday's visiting day with family.  At least that's the way it was when I grew up - maybe you did as well.  So today, in honor of that tradition, I visited the family of herons that I've been following the last few weeks.  There were more motor boats with skiers today than normally so my little kayak was rocking a lot of the time I was out this morning.  As I was nearing the nest I saw Moe and Larry looking out, and then I looked at one of the personal docks nearby and see their mama.  She didn't mind standing still for me.  She was watching out for her babies.  She was making sure they were safe.  She knows they will "graduate" from the nest soon and wants to make sure they have a good start in life,  Or at least make it that far.  I only saw Moe and Larry today, so I can't confirm Daryl is still in there.  He is the shy one, remember?  I didn't see him and now I worry because I haven't noticed her that close to the nest in the weeks I've been visiting.  I know she's been close, just not as close.  And, while I was wondering why I saw a red tailed hawk flying over.  I was glad to see a red tailed hawk but then I remembered - hawks are a natural predator for heron babies.  Then I worried about the babies in the nest,  And so I looked more fervently for Daryl.  Still, I didn't see him, hopefully he's just hiding from all the noise and waves of the boats.   I comfort myself with, "I'll probably see him next week".
Meanwhile, the herons' mother will stay close by and watch over all three.  She will be attentive even when they don't realize she's watching.  It's all in a day's work when you're a mom.
I hope your Sunday was everything you wanted it to be.  Maybe you even visited with friends and/or family.  Thanks for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment