Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sunday Steeple 01-03-16

Copyright 2015 AJ Horton

Hello and happy Sunday.  This year, on Sundays, I think I will bring you a church - or at least a part of one.  This country has no shortages of churches so I think I can come up with 52 of them.  While there is only one God, there are many different ways to worship - and I hope I can show many of the different types of buildings used for that purpose.  Maybe I can give a little history about the particular church and we can all learn something.  Religion is a very personal choice - we choose what we want to believe and join others who feel the same.  I want you to know that I feel that everyone is entitled to worship the way they want and I make no judgements as long as there is love felt and given.  My God is a loving God and I won't show churches that I learn are spreading hate toward others.  

With that being said, the steeple you see above comes from a church of love.  This is Camp Creek United Methodist Church in Lancaster, SC.  This church was founded in 1798 by Bishop Francis Asbury.  Please read more about the history of this church at http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/lancaster-county/camp-creek-methodist-church.html.

My maternal grandparents went to this church; then my mother; then she brought in my father and, of course their three children.  This is where I learned the love of God from people other than my parents.  I grew up coming here almost every Sunday, I learned all the books of the Bible, how to pronounce difficult words and names (and there are many), and how there are different opinions, different ways of interpreting the same Bible verse(s), and how each interpretation may be right.  I learned that thinking and asking questions is OK!  People here weren't all "my way or the highway", but encouraging and loving.  The people here really make this church a welcoming and loving place.

It was truly a great Church for me to grow from child to adult.  One of my sisters and her two sons still attend.  It's still the place I go sometimes.  Feel free to check them out.

I hope you are having a great Sunday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment