Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lazy Alligator Saturday

Copyright AJ Horton
  So, when we entered the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia, we had been told that the alligators were in hibernation.  Imagine our surprise as, after only a few minutes kayaking in shallow, narrow, water, we see this fellow sunning himself less than 10 feet away!  Well, I can tell you that after the initial shock and I was able to breath again, I slowly reached for my camera.  We were very thankful that this guy appeared to be sleeping soundly.  We paddled by him as slowly and as quietly as we could and then continued to enjoy the Okefenokee.  I did have a wonderful time paddling that day, although this guy was always on my mind, especially since we had to paddle back by him on our way out. We knew of no other way to get back to our origination.  I wondered as we paddled, "Will he still be there when we get back?", and "What if he's not there, where will he be, will he be waiting for us?", and "I wonder if he thinks we taste like chicken?"  "Has he ever had chicken?"  "I will FREAK OUT if he's moved!"  "Oh, why did I think I could bring my little kayak out here?"  At least it's not a sit on top kayak."  And so my thoughts went.  Finally, I did relax and manage to enjoy all the beauty of the Okefenokee Swamp.  It is a wonderful place to visit and, if you haven't already,  maybe you'll get to go sometime.  They do boat tours there so you don't have to go in a kayak.  Whatever way you choose, it's a great way to spend a Saturday.
  By the way, this guy was in the same place when we quietly paddled by him on our way to our car.  I am thankful to this day that he'll never know if I taste like chicken.   Who knows, he might have spit me out - I've been told that I'm spoiled.  ;)
  I hope that you have a wonderful and exciting Saturday!  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment