Sunday, April 5, 2015

Happy Easter Sunday


Copyright AJ Horton

Happy Easter to all!  I want to talk a little about this little butterfly I found while in Florida a few years ago.  I don't know anyone who doesn't admire butterflies.  They are transformers, going from egg to lowly caterpillar to cocoon to a beautiful butterfly, able to flit and fly all about and bring joy to all who see them.   We love to look at them, to chase them all about the yard and to photograph them.  Why do you think they amaze us so much?
Maybe it's because they do transform.  We know the only constant in life is change, and since they change from something not so pretty to something beautiful, we feel like we can as well.  I believe that is true, even if and especially if our beauty is on the inside.  I did a little reading on the butterfly and discovered that Greek mythology has Psyche - the goddess of the soul - who was in the form of a butterfly.  
Christianity also uses the butterfly as a symbol of the soul.   I like to think that, even though we keep the same body as we grow and learn, that the do "transform".  We have free will and we get to pick how we transform.  We can be truthful, loving, intelligent, hard working people.  We could also transform into hateful, lazy, bigoted people.  We could also be a combination.  I think we have all of the above in us.
So, today, as we celebrate the story of the transformation of Jesus from man on earth to a risen, heavenly body, I think of the butterfly, the symbol of the soul, and of its journey - of its transformation into beauty and freedom.  I think of my own journey, and hope that my own transformation of my soul will be as beautiful.
I hope you all had a wonderful, beautiful day.  Thank you for looking and reading my thoughts.  See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment