Saturday, August 15, 2015

I see you looking at me looking at you!





Copyright 2015 AJ Horton  Do not use without written consent

Hello on Saturday.  Today as we were riding around we happened upon what looked like a pond with cypress trees.  It seemed unusual for the area so we turned around and went back.  It turns out the place was called Page's Mill Pond and located in Dillon County, SC in the town on Lake View.  In 1782 a man named "Zarv" Ford and his son built a dam here that powered a grist mill and cotton gin and the area was called Ford's Mill.  It stayed in the family for 100 years until it was sold to a brother-in-law who "built a second mill house and opened a large general store".  You can find more information about this particular area by going to http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/dillon-county/pages-millpond.html.  They include a map of the area.  A day trip with kayaking and picnicking sounds nice to me! Try it out.  I think you may like it, and if you don't have time this weekend, it's probably going to be there another weekend.  It's been around since 1782 so, hopefully, it's not going anywhere.  My photo of the millpond is below.
Now, back to this goose.  Actually, I thought it was a goose - until I looked it up online.  It is actually a duck!  I have found out it is a Muscovy Duck which, according to Wikipedia, is native to Mexico, Central and South America.  So how did they make it all the way to South Carolina?  I haven't a clue.  I guess they like our warm southern hospitality.
I like the warm southern hospitality of the south as well.
I hope you had a warm, sunny Saturday.  I thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.  

Copyright AJ Horton  Do not use without written consent

No comments:

Post a Comment