Saturday, January 24, 2015

Saturday's Plunge

Copyright 2008 AJ Horton

This was taken at the Polar Plunge at Sandy Point State Park in Maryland way back in 2008.  Almost 10,000 wonderfully adventurous, maybe even a little crazy, people run into very, very cold water.  In 2008 the outside temperature was 34 degrees and the water temperature in the Chesapeake Bay was actually a few degrees higher.  I was there because I wanted to photograph it, not to swim.  Brrrrr.  Yes, maybe I am a little crazy, just not that crazy on that day.  I remember it was cold AND windy and I am a fan of neither.  It does cost to take the plunge into the Bay and the proceeds go to the Maryland Special Olympics.  I guess more than a few hundred thousand people are doing the Polar Plunge this year in their respective state's cold waters.  They do it for fun, for an adrenalin rush, for community and for others.  After the plunge, and drying off and changing, there are vendors waiting to feed and sell you stuff.  I still have the hand knitted hat and gloves that I bought.
And then I came across this "beach scene" that someone had set up and I just had to take it back with me.  It was a very cloudy, cold, windy and gray day and this set up made me feel just a little warmer inside.  Yes, I altered the picture a bit with the colors so I could pick my own type of weather when I look at it.  When I look at it today, I do remember what that day was like but I don't feel the cold.  I feel warm and sunny and I just want to sit in one of the chairs, look over the water and bridge as long as I am able.  Won't you join me?  Let's take a break from work, watching tv or whatever and just sit and relax at the beach.  Imagine whatever kind of weather you want, whatever drink and food you want and enjoy every bit of peace.  Thanks for looking.  Make sure you enjoy something today.  See you tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment