Thursday, February 25, 2016

Thursday 'Gator Counting 02-25-16

Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Thursday.  Let's do some 'gator counting today!  This past Tuesday we traveled into the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge along the Laurel Hill Wildlife Drive.  The "Drive" is only 4 miles through the refuge and it took us about 3 hours to complete it because we stopped so many times to get out and make photographs.  (Rest assured you will see more photos of this drive.)  When it came to the 'gators, we had stopped to see a big 'gator across a small canal and a couple of guys came up to us and told us about these babies on our side of the road.  Naturally, our curiosity meant that we would get as close as we could to take photos while keeping a watchful eye on the big one across the canal.  I've seen an alligator run before so I know firsthand that they move very swiftly, so I didn't want to take any chances on one running toward me while I'm looking at her babies!  We were joined by a couple of older women as we were watching, which made me feel better because I thought I could outrun the other two women.

I also think it made it a little easier to see the babies because the Refuge had a "Prescribed Burn" last week .  A Prescribed Burn  is used to help with nesting areas along the marshes for waterfowl and to help eliminate invasive and exotic perennials.  I am not sure what that meant for the alligators and their survival or where they went during the burn, but, since they still look alive, I guess they're ok.

How many little 'gators can you count?  I didn't even realize how many were in the photo until I got home and looked a the picture on the computer screen.  Those little prehistoric looking creatures don't look dangerous - yet.

I hope your Thursday counted as fun and non-dangerous.  Enjoy the baby 'gator counting.  Let me know what you see.  Thanks for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment