Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Bridge For Wednesday 02-24-16

James P. Houlihan Memorial Bridge  Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Wednesday.  This is the James P. Houlihan Memorial Bridge.  It was originally constructed as a manual swing span bridge in 1922.  In 1954 the entire swing span was reconstructed and electric mechanisms were put in place to swing the bridge for ships to pass.  You can find this bridge in Georgia on Highway 17/State Route 25 crossing the Savannah River near Chatham County.  It has been a long time since I have seen a swing bridge, so I was happy to run across this one so I could photograph and show you.  There are only 2 swing span bridges left in Georgia.  I looked up two websites for my blog so, if you want to read a little more about it, and see just how a swing bridge works, check out https://cdn.loc.gov/master/pnp/habshaer/ga/ga0800/ga0823/data/ga0823data.pdf and http://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=georgia/houlihanbridge/.

I hope your Wednesday was a great "bridge" for you to Thursday and Friday.  Thanks for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment