Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Tuesday's Sleepy? Chilean Flamingo 09-13-16

Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Tuesday.  When I went to the NC Zoo in Asheboro the other day, I just had to stop and see the Chilean Flamingos.  The Chilean Flamingo is one of the tallest flamingos that can grow to 4.3 feet.  It just looks big and heavy, but it only weighs up to a paltry 7.7 pounds.  I haven't ever had the chance to pick one up, but they look heavier than 8 pounds.  One other thing that I've noticed about flamingos is that they never seem to close their eyes.  Online I looked for an for the eye non closure and could find nothing.  I did learn that when they eat from the little pond behind them, their bill is upside down and their tongue pushes the water out filtering their food.  Pretty interesting, but not the question I asked the 'net.  Maybe I'll have a definitive answer to that question before I put another , seemingly sleeping, flamingo on my blog.

I hope you had an interesting Tuesday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment