Monday, September 5, 2016

Monday's Labor Day Laborer 09-05-16

Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Monday and Labor Day!  This hard working female is an Argiope Spider, also known as Zipper Spider, Banana Spider, Writing spider, along with a couple other names.  I put the background of where I first saw the spider.  Her web is lower left and she was up near the top right of the photo.  I say this is the female because females of  this spider are larger than the males and she looked very large to me when I almost walked into her yesterday.  I was checking out the water in our pond and saw movement out of the corner of my eye, so I adjusted my focus and there was this huge spider!  After a quick yell, I realized I had a photo opportunity and  maybe I could even learn a little something.  From the internet on the website:  https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Argiope-Spider_vq1731.htm, I learned that these spiders are very beneficial to have around because they eat many insects that hurt our garden.  The bad thing about this spider is that she's not even close to our garden.  Maybe she wanted a water view, but she could also have a water view by the garden.  Maybe I'll make her move soon.  Maybe I won't make her move.  She might bite me if I annoy her too much, but she's not poisonous so I'll be okay.  Even so, I don't feel like testing that so I'm going to just back away and she can stay where she is. 

I hope you had a wonderful labor free Monday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment