Thursday, September 1, 2016

Thursday's Hummingbird Feeder Visitor 09-01-16


Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Thursday.  Look who I found visiting the hummingbird feeder today.  I didn't notice him at first, but I heard the hummingbirds chattering and saw them flying around but not eating and then I saw him.  It's one thing for an ant to cross the moat, go down the glass and into one of the petals for the nectar, they're small and hardly noticeable, but, a praying mantis is very noticeable to a little hummingbird.  Through the glass you can see the shadow of a hummingbird wanting to eat, but won't sit and feed with the mantis.  So, I started doing a little research about the praying mantis while I was writing this and found out something very disturbing - the praying mantis preys on hummingbirds and is capable of capturing, killing and eating the hummingbird.  YIKES!!  The article, along with a photograph, was on Snopes.com and I believe that site.  After reading that and before finishing this, I went outside to check the feeder and the mantis was still there.  I tried to shake him off but he would not leave, so, I took the feeder over to the garden and pushed him off my feeder!  He's still alive and can have all the garden insects he wants, but he cannot have any of my precious hummingbirds.  I guess we all want and need to protect what's important to us.

I hope you had a terrific and protected Thursday.   Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment