Monday, July 4, 2016

Fourth of July Fly By for Monday 07-04-16


Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Monday.  Today is the Fourth of July!  Today represents the day we declared the United States of America as an independent nation way back in 1776.   I know there's a lot of fireworks and flag waving today, but I thought I'd take this blog in a slightly different direction.  You know, we would not have an independent nation if it were not for the brave men and women who were risked life and limb to make us independent so long ago.  We still have brave men and women who now risk life and limb to keep us strong and independent.  I, for one, am very grateful for the past, present and future guardians of our liberty.

A few weeks ago I was outside in Mullins, South Carolina and I heard a rare noise - the deafening sound of a low flying jet.  I had heard that sound weeks earlier while in my house with my sister.  We laughed and called it a "fly by" or "being buzzed".  I felt like it was military because it felt very low to the ground, but, at that point it was dark outside so no visuals, just what we made up in our heads to justify the noise.  I don't live near an airport that would account for the noise, so it was a mystery and we laughed it off.  We were "buzzed" two or three times that night.

A couple of weeks later I was outside during the day taking photos when, once again, I heard that deafening sound.  I aimed my camera at the sky and barely got this one, usable frame.  A search of the internet (my favorite tool for information), has led me to believe that this is indeed a military vehicle - an F-22 Raptor, built by Lockheed Martin for the Air Force.   Although the F-22 Raptor first appeared in the 1980s, it is making a resurgence now because of its capabilities.  This particular F-22 looks armed and ready!  I don't want to make today's blog too long, so you can read more about this wonderful jet at http://www.f22-raptor.com/.  Even if you just type in a search of F-22, you will get several choices.

On this July 4th, I just wanted to take a few minutes to celebrate with you and add a little info about what's being done to keep us "The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave".   America is great, always has been and always will be and I am proud to be an American.  I am thankful to all who have worked, are working, and will work to keep us safe and free.

I hope you're having a fabulous Fourth of July.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment