Saturday, March 26, 2016

Saturday's Dogwood Flower 03-26-16

Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Saturday.  Today, the day before Easter, I have for you a Dogwood Flower.  This is the state flower of North Carolina.  The Dogwood Tree is part of an Easter Legend that states:  

  “When Christ was on earth, the dogwood grew
   To a towering size with a lovely hue.
   Its branches were strong and interwoven,
   And for Christ's cross its timbers were chosen.
   “Being distressed at the use of the wood,
   Christ made a promise which still holds good:
   'Never again shall the dogwood grow
   To be large enough for a tree, and so,
   Slender and twisted it shall always be,
   With cross-shaped blossoms for all to see.
   “'The petals shall have bloodstains marked brown,
   And in the blossom's center a thorny crown.
   All who see it will think of me,
   Nailed to a cross from a dogwood tree.
   Protected and cherished this tree shall be,
   A reflection to all of my agony.'”

It's a beautiful poem.  I've heard it all my life and I love looking at the Dogwood Tree and its flowers.  The trouble with legends is that sometimes, they are not true - as is the case here.  Apparently, on all the websites I visited that told of the story, they verified that the Dogwood Tree has never grown in Israel, so the Crucifixion cross could not have come from the Dogwood.  I don't care.  It's still a moving poem and I will continue to think of it every time I see a Dogwood Tree and its flowers.  Maybe the tree will seem a little prettier now that I know the truth.

I hope you had a beautiful Saturday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

if you want to check out the sites I went to for the information, look at http://www.creationtips.com/dogwood.html, and/or http://www.gardenguides.com/93373-history-dogwood-tree.html.  There may be other sites as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment