Monday, March 28, 2016

Purple Martin Monday 03-28-16

Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Monday.  I have for you today a pair of Purple Martins in a gourd.  The darker one is the male and lighter one, the female.  I'm hoping that they've chosen where they will spend their summer, mating and having children, and later flying back to South America.  We "inherited" this pole with gourds.  The pole was bent over and we had heard the martins around and wanted them to come back so we tried to straighten the pole.  Well, we ended up breaking the pole near its base, we fell back, along with the pole and broke a couple of gourds (at least we didn't break anything on us)! We set the pole back up complete with the broken ones and the martins came back!!  There are three pairs of them that I've seen so far and I hope they stay.  I love their chatter and they are not really afraid to be around humans.  I ordered another pole and more gourds so maybe others will join - the more the merrier.  Plus, they eat mosquitoes, bees and wasps.  I'm told they might even eat fire ants.
There's a lot more to know about Purple Martins, and, if you're interested, check out this site:  
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Martin/lifehistory

I hope you had a marvelous Monday and gained a little knowledge today.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment