Thursday, March 24, 2016

Maundy Thursday Cross Carrying 03-24-16

Copyright 2016 AJ Horton
Hello and happy Thursday.   Easter is this Sunday and I have for you today a man carrying the cross.  Today is considered Maundy Thursday, a holy day for Christians to commemorate The Last Supper and of Jesus washing others' feet.  There are a few other things involved in Maundy Thursday and you can read it all at http://www.ibtimes.com/holy-thursday-2016-facts-history-meaning-these-5-maundy-traditions-honoring-last-2342285.

The man carrying the cross today is John Brookfield in Pinehurst, NC.  This isn't his first day carrying the cross, but it is the first day I have spoken with him and asked to take his photo.  I had been thinking about what I was going to do for this Easter - I had seen him before carrying the cross and hoped I would see him again,  It was not my usual day to be in Pinehurst, but I had a doctor's appointment and, as we were leaving the appointment (my sister went with me), guess who we saw?  We turned around, passed him and found a place to park.  I went to meet him and he was receptive and willing to talk,

It turns out that John hadn't planned on carrying that cross today in that area.  And, he expected he would be gone from that area before the time we arrived except that another woman had stopped him and they spoke for a few minutes.  When I saw him carrying that cross up the hill - and, by the way, that cross weighs 100 pounds (he sometimes carries a cross that weighs 200 pounds) - he was supposed to be gone from the area.  What a lucky girl am I?  Or maybe I'm not so lucky - maybe I'm just blessed - maybe it was meant to be?  Maybe God intervened?

In Mathew 16: 24-26, Jesus said, and I am paraphrasing, that anyone that wants to follow him should deny himself and pick up his cross and follow Jesus.  John Brookfield is doing just that.  I will give you a little more of John tomorrow, of his work, and of what tomorrow means to Christians.

I hope you had a great Maundy Thursday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment