Friday, August 19, 2016

Friday's Bread Bowl and the Tupelo Gum Tree 08-19-16

Copyright 2016AJ Horton
Hello and happy Friday.  I was on my way to Mullins, SC today and my GPS took me a different way.  I found myself on Highway 501 South and, as I passed by this person on a tractor plowing a field I saw this little hand written sign, "Bread Bowls".  I was thinking this was an advertisement for soup in a bowl, but as I drove by I noticed differently so I turned around and went back.  The man you're looking at is Elisha Locklear, Traditional Chief of the Tuscarora Tribe of North Carolina.  He is holding a cutting board that I bought made out of the Tupelo Gum tree.  Around him there are bread bowls that he has hand cut from the Tupelo Gum trees.  He shared with me stories of using the bread bowls and how it was a tradition to make bread from scratch on these boards.  Chief Locklear told me that bread was made three times a day for the family.  He also told me about the Tupelo Gum trees and how the wood of the tree became heavier and harder the higher you went up the tree.  The bread bowls and my awesome new cutting board are very light because they came from a part of the tree that is closer to the ground.  If you increase the size of the picture, you can read about the tradition of the bread bowl from the Tupelo Gum tree.

This was a great experience for me meeting the Chief of the Tuscarora Tribe of  North Carolina.  I really enjoy meeting new people, especially when they have created something and I love buying local whenever possible.  As for the Tuscarora Tribe you can enjoy reading a little history about them at:  http://www.tuscaroranationnc.com/history.

I hope you really had a great experience this Friday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment