Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tuesday's Angel Tree and Resurrection Fern 10-13-15

Copyright 2015 AJ Horton
Hello on Tuesday.  Recently I visited the Angel Oak in St. Johns Island, SC.  I thought I'd show you a different view of this very old and humongous tree.  Sometimes when I look at trees, I can't help but wonder at their ability to survive and reach for the sun.  Also, what you're seeing on the limbs along with the moss is something called a Resurrection Fern. This is an epiphytic fern, meaning that it grown on top of other structures or plants or, in this case, trees.  It just uses the other structure for a house, I guess, but it has its own nutrient system so it's not dependent on the other for life.  It's called the Resurrection Fern because it is able to survive in a drought.  It can actually lose 75 to 95% of its water content.  When that happens it turns brown and basically looks dead.  However, when the rain comes and it replenishes itself it returns to a nice green, lush looking foliage.   Pretty cool!

I hope you had a replenishing Tuesday.  Thank you for looking.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment